profile del.icio.us facebook flickr stuart vimeo
approachable Jane
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I can't say that yesterday morning was one of my best moments because with rain brings wet feet, wet pants, messy hair, and a very annoyed Jane Tam. Once the rain disappeared and one pretentious gallery interview was over, I headed to Barnes and Nobles where I people-watched like I never people-watched before. Overhearing a high school senior get slammed by a college reviewer was one of the highlights especially since she was showing him her black and white photography portfolio. Heard things like:

"You need to learn how to look through the camera and think about what you are shooting."

"Focus on some project long term and try to make a series. It gets tough in college and I usually expect Juniors in college to have an idea about what they want to photograph."

"Burn this." "Dodge this."

"Shoot more."

"Too busy on this side. If you want to make something confusing do it with intention."

I really wanted to whip out my 9 images in my portfolio and hear him either praise me or trashtalk me about how I am a failure. He was harsh but damn was it great criticism for the girl.

After they left, I continued watching from the cafe, looking down on the customers. It started to get overwhelming at one point where I couldn't focus on any one person anymore, and that was when I took a napkin and jotted everything and everyone I saw down. It's the beginning of something.

Four strangers approached me today. One who was overwhelmed by the tunnels in the Canal street station and how complicated it was to get from the downtown R to the downtown N.

Another woman asked me where I bought my calendar, in which I wrote amazon.com and somehow got to chatting about ancient Chinese traditions of female foot bindings. She asked why I didn't have an accent and well, I said, "I was born here."

An old Chinese granpa had the most worrisome face on the train and started to panic to his wife about being on the wrong train. He asked me something I didn't understand because he was speaking hardcore Toisan. I couldn't help him and his wife yelled at him again telling him not to worry. Calendar lady asked me why I didn't understand and said I should learn Chinese. She left after saying that. (That kind of pissed me off.. since I know Chinese, I just dont know ALL the fucking dialects! ooh, ignorance)

Another man on the train sitting next to Calendar lady starting say how he hopes he doesn't get all paranoid when he ages. Somehow we got to talking about his wife and how he thinks he will be the paranoid grandpa very soon.

.........................................................................................................

1 Comments:
Blogger wango said...

yah, after reading this, i feel like i'll be that girl, having the toughest interview or a portfolio reviewed.. i still don't know what the hell i'm doing anymore. (life/career wise) and this sucks. i felt like i should change and yet i don't. kill me like you never before.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About

Jane Tam has moved to a different domain. Please forward your links to http://janetam.com. Jane is a 21 year old Photography student placed in Syracuse University but originally from New York City. She enjoys all sorts of music but you can classify her as the stereotypical indie kid. Slightly offensive and bitter sometimes, this blog is a place to vent frustrations but also a blog to display current photo/art projects as well as encourage new talent from music to art to films; basically whatever tickles Jane's fancy.

Archives

12/2004
01/2005
02/2005
03/2005
04/2005
05/2005
06/2005
07/2005
08/2005
09/2005
10/2005
11/2005
12/2005
01/2006
02/2006
03/2006
04/2006
05/2006
06/2006
07/2006
08/2006
09/2006
10/2006
11/2006
12/2006
01/2007
02/2007
03/2007
04/2007
05/2007
06/2007
08/2007
09/2007
10/2007
11/2007










www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from thejane. Make your own badge here.

My Amazon.com Wish List

Subscribe in NewsGator Online Photoblogs.orgView My Profile